[OS X TeX] Installing "MacTeXtras" using MacPorts

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Mar 2 10:54:03 CET 2007

Am 02.03.2007 um 01:55 schrieb Michael Williams:

> You you be a bit more precise about what you mean by "some code from
> i-Installer"? I was under the impression that i-Installer is not a
> necessary component of "MacTeX" (as evidenced by the fact that,
> courtesy
> of the Customize option in MacTeX.dmg, I now have a working TeXLive
> installation, but no i-Package receipts or i-Installer.app).

Mac TeX uses some Perl code from i-Installer to manipulate /etc/
profile and /etc/csh.login (can be found in /Volumes/MacTeX/
MacTeX.pkg/Contents/Resources).

I-Installer uses or used (I am not using it anymore since I do not
want a geek TeX and unwanted preference panes, disk space abuse, and
ability to switch between coarse TeX distributions) Ghostscript to
convert fonts or do some other conversion (I don't have the report
files from i-Installer anymore and don't want to restore them). All
the Perl scripts that Gerben Wierda wrote for i-Installer use
absolute path names ("/bin/mkdir," "/bin/rm," "/usr/bin/basename," "/
usr/bin/ruby," and many more) and so the path to gs was coded
absolutely, too. And since the Ghostscript i-Package provided gs and
installed it in /usr/local/bin, its path name was coded as /usr/local/
bin/gs. Even if you had gs installed with Fink or Mac Ports the
conversion did not happen.

I also do not use Mac TeX (why should I download a set of CDs or a
whole DVD to update some 10 MB?). I don't remember for sure whether
Mac TeX did similiar things with gs as i-Installer did one year ago
(I assume it did not, it rather would have installed the product of
this conversion since it's basically a copy of a TeX installation
done with i-Installer in its basic mode), I remember a discussion to
install a version of gs that is X11 enabled, that could be used in
xdvi to render PostScript inclusions on screen.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Let's face it; we don't want a free market economy either."
         James Farley, president, Coca-Cola Export Corp., 1959