[OS X TeX] Installing "MacTeXtras" using MacPorts

Michael Williams williams at astro.ox.ac.uk
Fri Mar 2 01:55:32 CET 2007

Hi Peter,

Thanks for helping.

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 11:41:58PM +0100, Peter Dyballa wrote:
> >OK, but I'm not using i-Installer (the TeXLive tree is just copied
> >straight into /usr/local without package receipts, etc.), so I guess
> >that doesn't matter?
>
> Mac TeX uses some code from i-Installer ... It's not that much effort
> to 'sudo ln -s /opt/bin/gs /usr/local/bin/gs' or such!

You you be a bit more precise about what you mean by "some code from
i-Installer"? I was under the impression that i-Installer is not a
necessary component of "MacTeX" (as evidenced by the fact that, courtesy
of the Customize option in MacTeX.dmg, I now have a working TeXLive
installation, but no i-Package receipts or i-Installer.app).

I realise that it's not that much effort to create the link, but I'm not
sure if it's even necessary, and I'm keen to avoid manually futzing with
/usr.

-- Mike