[OS X TeX] Translating LaTeX to Quark or InDesign

Stephen Moye stephenmoye at cox.net
Sat Jun 30 12:56:16 CEST 2007

On Jun 29, 2007, at 8:51 PM, Wendy McKay wrote:

> On Fri, 29 Jun 2007, David R. Derbes wrote:
>
>> It's a long story but I have retyped an old book (with quite a lot of
>> math in it) so that a friend may republish it. As it happens, the
>> friend's typesetter uses mostly Quard Xpress,
>
> Is this of any use?
> http://www.extensionsworld.com/index-directory-quark-software-
> quarkxpress-xtension-335.html
>
> MathSetter brings high quality TeX mathematical typesetting
> capabilities to QuarkXPress. Equations are typed into a QuarkXPress
> document using TeX's markup languange:

No, that is really not a possibility. Mathsetter, a Bluesky Research
product based on the Textures TeX engine, works only with XPress
version 4, which, in turn, runs only on Mac OS **9**. That really
isn't an option these days. Bluesky hasn't even gotten Textures for
OS X out the door in a final-release form, in spite of years of effort.

On Jun 30, 2007, at 3:34 AM, Axel E. Retif wrote:

> Indeed ---we have used it. MathSetter uses a TeX engine for
> formulas; literally TeX ---you have to type {1 \over 2}, not \frac
> {1}{2}. Unfortunately, MathSetter works only with Quark 3 or 4.
> Hard to find now.

Well, you can use LaTeX with Mathsetter and type \frac{1}{2}, but you
need to have a LaTeX format file available to Mathsetter. That was
how "Notices of the American Mathematical Society" was produced until
we recently moved it to InDesign and TeXShop (hip hip hooray!).

The RTF-to-TeX converters are often more trouble than they are worth:
the cleanup of their output is often on a par with the amount of
effort needed to re-key the original, particularly if there is a lot
of math.

Stephen Moye