[OS X TeX] Footnote on a Section Heading

Thomas Rike tricycle222 at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 30 03:59:37 CEST 2007

Does someone know how to place a footnote on a section heading using
documentclass{article}?

If the footnote is placed in the section heading as in

\section{Testing \footnote{This is a test}}
the error is
! Argument of \@sect has an extra }.

If the footnote is placed after the section heading as in

\section{Testing}\footnote{This is a test}
then the footnote mark is place at the beginning of the next line
after the section heading.

I am using TeXLive 2007 with TeXShop2.10beta8 on a MacBookPro.
I know this is not Mac specific, but I am not home and have turned
off my access to other forums for a month. Thanks, Tom Rike