[OS X TeX] Translating LaTeX to Quark or InDesign

David R. Derbes loki at uchicago.edu
Sat Jun 30 00:31:19 CEST 2007

It's a long story but I have retyped an old book (with quite a lot of
math in it) so that a friend may republish it. As it happens, the
friend's typesetter uses mostly Quard Xpress, but is willing to
consider InDesign. Another possibility is (ugh) to convert to Word.

There seems to be some software that converts LaTeX to Word and
equations to MathType. I am willing to buy this software and do the
conversion, if it will succeed.

Does anyone have any experience in this sort of thing? What if I
produce a PostScript version of the book; if that is loaded into
InDesign, does it become editable?

(I don't understand why the typesetter can't just do the pages as
PDF's, but I am an ignoramus about this stuff.)

Thanks for any advice.

David Derbes
U of Chicago Lab Schools