[OS X TeX] Named Theorem

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 04:51:26 CEST 2007

On 6/28/07, Alain Schremmer <schremmer.alain at gmail.com> wrote:
> amsthm provides for named theorems, e.g. Theorem 4 (Lagrange) but,
> while the example in Companion 2ed (139) shows Lemma 1 (Main) in
> which both Lemma and Main are bold-faced, for me Lemma is bold-faced
> but Main is not.
>
> Intriguingly, I have written "Does not work anymore" but I have no
> idea what I meant when I wrote it, apparently a couple of years ago.
>
> I would very much appreciate any help.

I believe that bold [Main] is a misprint. If you read amsthdoc.pdf
(Version 2.20, August 2004)
(/usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist/doc/latex/amscls/amsthdoc.pdf in
TeXLive 2007 distribution) Main is not bold (but it is \rm ). You can
always make Main bold by
\begin{theorem}[\bf Main]

(but surrounding parenthesis would not become bold). However this
switch [ ] works perfectly: If you type  \begin{theorem}(Main) instead
of \begin{theorem}[ Main] the result would be
Theorem 4. (Main) with unwanted dot.

HTH
                            Victor

PS LC 2nd edtion was published in 2004, so it could happen that in
earlier versions of amsthm situation was different.