[OS X TeX] Scrivener, multimarkdown

Jeffrey J Weimer weimerj at email.uah.edu
Sun Jun 17 23:23:07 CEST 2007

On Jun 16, 2007, at 12:14 PM, Thomas Braun wrote:

> I just discovered "scrivener" (http://www.literatureandlatte.com/
> scrivener.html).
> Seems a *very* nice and capable program for drafting of manuscripts.
> Unfortunately the software is designed to work as RTF editor, so
> the formatting is not abstracted.
> However, it supports "multimarkup" which seems to be quite capable
> (http://fletcherpenney.net/MultiMarkdown).
>
> Does anyone here using this software?

I have tested Scrivener and found that it is very nicely designed for
the authoring/editing stage of producing manuscript size documents. I
am however not enthralled (actually, I am rather upset) by having to
use MultiMarkdown to control typesetting format (if you review the
postings on the Scrivener bulletin board from about 2 months ago, you
may find my threads about this).

Consequently, I played around with using annotations as a way to
store LaTeX markup within Scrivener. I had some degree of success
with this. The process I tested is Scrivener (LaTeX markup in
annotations) -> TextWrangler (Applescript to strip off Scrivener
annotation coding) -> TeXShop -> LaTeX.

In essence, while I think Scrivener might be well suited to handle
the textbook that I have been debating whether/when to write, I am
fairly sure that I would not use it for journal sized documents. As
far as learning MultiMarkDown as a way to get to RTF on moderately
sized documents, I'd be more likely to use TextEdit or Bean - but
that's just me.

Anyway, I would be glad to discuss the details of how I handled
Scrivener->LaTeX  off-line from this list.

HTH

--
J. J. Weimer, Chemistry / Chemical & Materials Engineering
University of Alabama in Huntsville, MSB 125, 301 Sparkman Dr