[OS X TeX] Man pages for latex installation

Chris Goedde cgg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 17:40:52 CEST 2007

On Jun 11, 2007, at 10:08 AM, Alan Munn wrote:

> For some reason the man command doesn't seem to find any man pages
> for binaries in my TeX installation, either gwTeX or TeX Live.

I believe that this was discussed about a year ago, in this thread:
http://tug.org/mailman/htdig/macostex-archives/2006-July/023572.html
(if you follow that link, just click on "thread" and you can follow
the discussion).

The tex installers install the binaries in /usr/local/bin and the man
pages in /usr/local/man, but Mac OS X is set up to have the man pages
in /usr/local/share/man. There are various solutions to this
(discussed in that thread); the one I chose was to move the man pages
to /usr/local/share/man. If you do that, then everything just works
and you don't have to edit any configuration files. I think there's a
solution via editing .cshrc, .login, or man.conf but I haven't tried
any of those.

--
Chris Goedde