[OS X TeX] Unexpected quotation marks

Robert Spence spence at saar.de
Sat Jun 9 16:10:33 CEST 2007

Dear Michael,

On 09 Jun 2007, at 15:41 , Michael Kubovy wrote:

> Deat TeXers,
>
> This file
>
> %%!TEX TS-program = xelatexmk
> %%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
> \documentclass[11pt]{article}
> \usepackage{xunicode}
> \usepackage[cm-default]{fontspec}
> \defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
> \setmainfont{Palatino}
>
> \title{Article}
> \author{Author}
> \date{}
>
> \begin{document}
> \maketitle
>
> should be ``quoted''
>
> \end{document}
>
> does not produce raised inverted commas at the beginning of the
> text and raised commas at the end. Instead it produces pairs of
> slanted apostrophes at both ends. Is this characteristic of
> Palatino, or am I missing something in the preamble?

It's a characteristic of Palatino, as you can see by inputting LEFT
DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK and RIGHT DOUBLE QUOTATION MARK directly via
the Character Palette:

%%!TEX TS-program = xelatexmk
%%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
\documentclass[11pt]{article}
\usepackage{xunicode}
\usepackage[cm-default]{fontspec}
\defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
\setmainfont{Palatino}

\title{Article}
\author{Author}
\date{}

\begin{document}
\maketitle

should be ``quoted''
and
should also be “quoted”

\end{document}

This produces the same results.  I think it's ugly, and it's one of
the main reasons I eventually decided not to use Palatino, although
there are many other things about it that are very nice.  But if the
people in charge of the grant application process want typographic
muck, then do what Dame Nellie Melba would have done and "give 'em
muck".

Good luck,
-- Rob Spence