[OS X TeX] --- .neq m-dash

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat Jun 9 14:54:57 CEST 2007

Le 9 juin 07 à 14:05, Robert Spence a écrit :

> Also, you need
> \usepackage{xunicode}
> and/or
> \defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
> ... I forget which one actually does the trick...

xunicode transforms LaTeX's explicit non-ASCII character calls (such
as \'e, \`a, \textemdash, \textbullet and so forth), generally
implemented as macros at the TeX level, into calls to the
corresponding Unicode characters.

Mapping=tex-text transforms LaTeX's implicit non-ASCII characters
calls (such as --, ---, and similarly for the Spanish inverted
question and exclamation marks -- I don't remember the input for
them), generally implemented as ligatures as the font metrics level,
into calls to the corresponding Unicode characters.

The technical terminology above is probably erroneous, but I hope you
get the idea.

Bruno Voisin