[OS X TeX] TeXShop "KeyEquivalents" plist problem

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Jun 8 15:02:05 CEST 2007

On Jun 7, 2007, at 9:01 PM, Vic Norton wrote:

> There seems to be a problem with the sample "KeyEquivalents" plist
> for TeXShop. I am not an XML expert, but apparently comments,
> surrounded by <!-- and -->, cannot be nested. I've eliminated the
> problem by putting all commented out sections below the initial
>    <plist>
>    <dict>
>    </dict>
>    </plist>
> block.
>
> Report from DiskWarrior:
>    File: "KeyEquivalents.plist"
>    Detected that Property List data is damaged and cannot be repaired.
>    XML parser error:
>    Encountered unexpected character - on line 56
>    Old-style plist parser error:
>    Malformed data byte group at line 1; invalid hex
>    Location: "System/Users/vic/Library/TeXShop/Menus/"

Howdy,

Nested comments do seem to be illegal in .plist files.

Unfortunately, changing Menu keyboard shortcuts via that file was
broken for quite a while and I'm not sure (i.e., I haven't tried
recently) if it is fixed in the latest versions. There seems to be
some variation in key binding ``strength'' so that some keys cannot
be un-bound for use elsewhere, etc. E.g., I've been able to un-bind
either Cmd-B or Cmd-I from the default binding, I don't remember
which one, but not the other.

I have used the System Preferences->Keyboard & Mouse->Keyboard
Shortcuts tab in Tiger to set a new binding (Ctl-Cmd-2 to Window-
 >Split Window) but that technique doesn't seem to be able to change
a binding that already exists.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)