[OS X TeX] Linotype Palatino

Michael Kubovy kubovy at virginia.edu
Thu Jun 7 05:57:30 CEST 2007

On Jun 6, 2007, at 10:37 PM, Robert Spence wrote:

> Dear Michael,
>
> On 07 Jun 2007, at 01:32 , Michael Kubovy wrote:
>
>> I've never even tried XeLaTeX. I would appreciate a guide for the
>> perplexed.
>
> ... will you settle for a guide _by_ one of the perplexed?
>
> First:
> Do you have any fancy stuff in your document, e.g. things done with
> pstricks, or phonetic symbols, etc.?
>
> If not, why not just try the following as the basis of your preamble:
>
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{xunicode,fontspec}
> \defaultfontfeatures{Mapping=tex-text}
> \setmainfont{Palatino}
>
> If your TeX distribution is a fairly recent one, then you probably
> already have everything you need for a XeLaTeX run.  Either check
> to see whether there's an appropriate item on the pulldown
> typesetting menu of TeXShop, or else just open the Terminal and do
> cd <path_to_my_grant_application_directory>
> then
> xelatex '-output-driver=xdvipdfmx -q -E'
> <my_grant_application_tex_sourcefile>
>
> It should "just work".  If it doesn't, you can get more help either
> on this list or on the XeTeX list (xetex at tug.org).
>
> Basically, if your source file compiles with LaTeX, then it should
> also compile with XeLaTeX.
>
> Good luck!

That works. Thanks. Now suppose I need to have headers, footers, and
section headings in sans serif?

_____________________________
Professor Michael Kubovy
University of Virginia
Department of Psychology
USPS:     P.O.Box 400400    Charlottesville, VA 22904-4400
Parcels:    Room 102        Gilmer Hall
         McCormick Road    Charlottesville, VA 22903
Office:    B011    +1-434-982-4729
Lab:        B019    +1-434-982-4751
Fax:        +1-434-982-4766
WWW:    http://www.people.virginia.edu/~mk9y/