[OS X TeX] Problem with fonts frutiger

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Jun 5 10:58:15 CEST 2007

Le 5 juin 07 à 08:16, Pascal Maes a écrit :

> I had modified the file updmap.cfg manualy and run updmap to update
> the map files.
> Now, I try your command (updmap-sys) but nothing change.

You're not supposed to edit updmap.cfg manually on the OS X TeX
distributions, the command-line utilities updmap and updmap-sys are
here to do that consistently.

You need probably to "disable" (ie comment out) frutiger.map in
updmap.cfg, then enable it again using updmap, so that updmap will
notice updmap.cfg has changed and will hence undertake rebuilding
psfonts.map etc. How exactly that needs to be done depends on the
details of your TeX configuration.

First I would recommend deleting your modified updmap.cfg
alltogether, if you've added an updmap.cfg inside ~/Library/texmf/
web2c; if you've edited /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-var/web2c/
updmap.cfg or /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.local/web2c/updmap.cfg, do
nothing. Then...

Case 1: you're using the default configuration which is to install
things system-wide, inside /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.pkgs for gwTeX or /
usr/local/texlive/texmf-local for TeXLive. In case you've installed
frutiger.map in either location, then run

	sudo updmap-sys -H --disable frutiger.map
	sudo updmap-sys -H --enable Map frutiger.map

and in case you've installed frutiger.map in your home directory
inside ~/Library/texmf, then run

	sudo updmap-sys --disable frutiger.map
	sudo updmap-sys --enable Map frutiger.map

The first instruction (with --disable) will probably do nothing and
return a warning telling there was nothing to disable, it's just here
as a safety measure and will do no harm.

Case 2: you've modified your TeX configuration to be account-specific
(ie add fonts and map file fragments for your user account only,
create formats and map files in this account, etc.), namely to
install all the additions inside ~/Library/texmf. That's what TeX
wizards would probably want to do. Then you would need to run, I think,

	updmap --disable frutiger.map
	updmap --enable Map frutiger.map

If you don't understand what this second case means, don't worry:
you're probably not affected, you're just using the default setup
from case 1.

Beware also that if you're using this default setup, you shouldn't
have any of the files:

~/Library/texmf/tex/generic/config/language.dat
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm_dl14.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvipdfm/updmap/dvipdfm_ndl14.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/builtin35.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/download35.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/ps2pk.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts_pk.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/updmap/psfonts_t1.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex_dl14.map
~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex_ndl14.map
~/Library/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg
~/Library/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf
~/Library/texmf/web2c/*.log
~/Library/texmf/web2c/*.fmt

Having any of them, and not having willingly altered the default
MacTeX/TeXLive or gwTeX install to become user-specific, would
indicate you've got a mixed setup mixing up cases 1 and 2, which
wouldn't be a good sign.

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin