[OS X TeX] equation* and \boxed do not work

Michael Rogers mlrogers at icogitate.com
Fri Jun 1 07:20:51 CEST 2007

I am using the MacTex-2007 package, with TeXLive-2007 set as the
distribution to use in TeXShop.

I was using the i-package system before, and just upgraded a few days
ago, but the problems have existed before the upgrade.

The Problem:

I have NEVER been able to get

\begin{equation*}
[equation body]
\end{equation*}

to work.

Error is:

! LaTeX Error: Environment equation* undefined.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.49 \begin{equation*}
                    ?

It always chokes on the *. I can use \[    \] or a plain
\begin{equation}...

Also, I can't get  \boxed{   } to work either. Error is:

! Undefined control sequence.
l.50 \boxed
          {x=y}

Am I missing some libraries or something? I also get the same error if I
use the fink distribution of LaTeX.

Any ideas anyone? I am tired of doing tedious work-a-rounds for this.

Thanks