[OS X TeX] Case Caption Layout

Kurt Gibson kgibson at gibsonlawfirm.com
Tue Jul 31 15:58:48 CEST 2007

Please advise if this is not the proper forum for this question.
This is my first post.

I would like to prepare a legal document with a case caption that has
a box that will expand as necessary depending upon the size of the
caption.  The caption must automatically expand or contract depending
upon the size of the names fields.  The Plaintiffs or Defendants
could include one or hundreds of names.  The caption is essentially
as follow:

I am a LaTex beginner using TeXShop on a MacOS Tiger machine.  I am
using document class letter generally.

Do you have any advice on how to get started on the caption below?
Should it be a picture or mbox or 2 column setup if there is such a
thing?

State of South Carolina         )      In the Court of Common Pleas
                                 )
County of Anderson              )

Plaintiff's Name                )
Plaintiff,                      )
                                 )
v                               )       Motion for XXXX XXXXX
                                 )       XXXXXXXX
Defendant's Name                )
Defendant's Name                )
Defendant's Name                )
Defendant's Name                )
Defendant's Name                )
Defendants.                     )       CASE NO.: 2004-DR-04-XXXX
--------------------------------)

1.	First paragraph

2.	Second paragraph.

etc.

The ")" should line up.  This is easy in MS Word but I do not want to
use Word anymore.  In MS Word, instead of the ")"'s I use a doubled
lined box on the right and bottom of the left column as follows (of
course in Word it looks much better than it appears below and the
lines are have no spaces in them).  I cannot use a line unless there
is a formula that would make the line expand based upon the size of
the left column.  Tabular does not work because then I have to do the
layout.  The document title "Motion for xxxx" could be large and then
would screw up the layout of the left column names.

State of South Carolina         ||      In the Court of Common Pleas
County of Anderson              ||
Plaintiff's Name                ||
Plaintiff,                      ||
v                               ||      Motion for XXXX XXXXX
                                 ||      XXXXXXXX
Defendant's Name                ||
Defendant.                      ||      CASE NO.: 2004-DR-04-XXXX

1.	First pargraph

2.	Second paragraph.

Thanks for any suggestion.

Kurt