[OS X TeX] How to make TeXShop engines available to all users?

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 26 18:59:14 CEST 2007

On Jul 26, 2007, at 17:49, William Adams wrote:

>>> Have you tried /Library/TeXShop ?
>>
>> That doesn't seem to work.
>
> A work-around:
>
>  - make all of your ~/Library/TeXShop directories into links to /
> Library/TeXshop

I downloaded the source, and the path ~/Library/TeXShop is hard-
coded. The link technique is a nightmare from a maintenance point of
view. Other options:

1) Ensure that these strings are localised, so a power user/
administrator can alter them without having to recompile TeXShop. The
hard coded values should be replaced by calls to
NSLocalizedStringWithDefaultValue() or
localizedStringForKey:value:table:

2) The code is updated to search the domains: This link [1] has a
topic “Locating Directories on the System”, which has the code (as
far as I can see) to help here. This has to be done whenever the
files are accessed, since different files may come from different
domains. This is a lot of work.

Best,

Maarten

[1] http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/