[OS X TeX] converting crossref

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Sun Jul 22 17:30:32 CEST 2007

On Jul 22, 2007, at 08:05, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:

> On Jul 22, 2007, at 7:50 AM, Alex Hamann wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a number of incollection entries in my bibliography which
>> have been created with crossrefs.
>> Now I ran into the problem that jurabib.bst offers a certain
>> formating options for incollection items which apparently do not
>> work if there is a crossref (I am referring to the edby option). Is
>> there an easy way to convert all the incollections with crossrefs
>> to incollections without crossrefs? Just deleting the crossref
>> field for all of them will not do it since that will cause the loss
>> of the information from the parent item.
>>

> This sounds like something that a search and replace with regular
> expressions should be able to do easily, but since I don't know how
> the entries before and after the conversion should look like I can't
> really offer more precise suggestions. Could you post some "before"
> and "after" examples?

You'd need to do it with AppleScript, since the child item only has a
pointer (crossref) to its parent for certain fields.  So you can have

@proceedings{bigconference2006,
	Editor = {Freely, Ivan P.},
	Organization = {Very Little Organization (VLO)},
	Title = {Big Conference},
	Year = {2006}}

@inproceedings{beer:2006,
	Author = {Beer, Anita},
	Booktitle = {Big Conference},
	Crossref = {bigconference2006},
	Title = {This is an example}}

which BibTeX/LaTeX will display as:

Beer, A. (2006). This is an example. In Freely (2006).
Freely, I. P., editor (2006). Big Conference. Very Little Organization
(VLO).

In this contrived example, you'd need to copy the editor,
organization, and year fields from the @proceedings parent to the
@inproceedings child entry, and delete the crossref field from the
child.  You'd also want appropriate checks for empty/non-empty fields.

--
adam