[OS X TeX] math typography

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sat Jul 21 17:40:21 CEST 2007

On 21/07/2007, at 6:02 AM, Scott Murman wrote:

> if i may, i'd like to hear some learned opinions on typography for
> math.  after many years, there are now options for typesetting
> math, but when i evaluate them, almost all seem inadequate.
> primarily, my complaint is the fonts are too "heavy", so that bold
> and regular cannot be clearly discriminated, and symbols bludgeon
> your senses like a vegas showgirl revue.  for text, heavier fonts
> are en vogue for many reasons, but this doesn't seem to translate
> to fidelity in math typesetting.  computer modern and latin modern
> still seem to provide the best math output (it's hard to out-do
> Knuth).   comments?  illusions?  missing possibilities?

Lucida Bright is a good option.
It uses a kind of semi-serif style, which goes well with
either serifed or sans-serif text.

For a example of where I have used this recently for conference
abstracts can be found at:

    http://www.sam.math.ethz.ch/~rossm/timetable/ICIAM07-ProgramBook.pdf
    http://www.sam.math.ethz.ch/~rossm/timetable/ICIAM07-
AbstractBook.pdf

These provide more than 1000 pages of densely typeset mathematical
abstracts, with mutual hyperlinks between the 2 documents.

Enjoy

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au