[OS X TeX] amsmath problem

Sue Lange s.lange at comsoc.org
Fri Jul 20 16:04:15 CEST 2007

To all,

I'm new here and I have a problem I have been unable to solve for
about six hours. I'm using TexShop to compile files created by
authors using probably PCs. I'm finding problems when using the
amsmath package. Certain equations that require the use of smaller
fonts are not compiling correctly, specifically the left "(" is
dropped from an equation. This occurs for example in the
\begin{small}  environment and also in equations that have three or
more levels of fractions. The amsmath package doesn't seem to be
needed for these equations which \ compile fine once the amsmath
package is removed. Unfortunately, the amsmath package is needed for
the rest of the document.

The pdflatex workflow compiles correctly, but the dvips to .ps to
.pdf flow does not. Texshop uses tex + ghostscript engine for the
dvips flow.

As far as I can tell the cmex7, 8, and 9 fonts are all in the correct
folders as well as the fmex7, 8, 9 fonts and the ttcmax map. I even
opened the .ps file and substituted fmex9 and cmex9 for the tex-cmex9
font that is placed there during compilation and the left "(" still
does not show up in the .pdf file. I'm pretty sure this is not a
problem with the distiller.

What is the engine that creates the .ps looking for?

Is there a way to override amsmath in certain parts of the document?

Sue
--
Sue Lange
Digital Production Manager