[OS X TeX] OT: MacDevCenter.com article ``Smarter Ways to Work with PDFs''

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed Jul 18 18:44:53 CEST 2007

Le 18 juil. 07 à 16:47, Adam R. Maxwell a écrit :

> On Jul 16, 2007, at 09:20, William Adams wrote:
>
>> Thought it was kind of interesting and it listed a number of apps
>> which have been discussed here and a couple which don't seem to
>> have been:
>>
>> http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2007/07/11/smarter-ways-to-
>> work-with-pdfs.html?CMP=OTC-13IV03560550&ATT=Smarter+Ways+to+Work
>> +with+PDFs
>
> Anyone have suggestions on how we can advertise BibDesk such that
> it's a more obvious (and functional!) solution for this than
> iTunes?  Good grief...we're only mentioned in terms of
> compatibility with Papers!

The winning aspect of Papers here is probably its interface, quite
natural for anybody accustomed with OS X and hence with iTunes:
papers grouped in collections, with columns corresponding to metadata
(authors, title, etc.), and papers viewed from within the application.

 From what seems to be reported on the web here and there, Leopard
will generalize iTunes-like navigation to the Finder, and hence make
this even more centric to OS X.

Don't know whether BibDesk could come closer to that. Problem is,
also, that iTunes-like navigation (with music grouped by genres,
artists and albums, and the way this is displayed in iTunes) is
patented, isn't it?

My 0.02 € (given I've not yet started to use BibDesk and BibTeX,
though that will happen sometime in the future).

Bruno Voisin