[OS X TeX] strange behaviour on Intel Macs of \NewOSXFontFamily (XeLateX; TeXshop)

Peter Robinson P.M.Robinson at bham.ac.uk
Fri Jul 13 08:26:08 CEST 2007

Dear everyone (this is my first posting to this list..)
I am happily using XeLateX in TeXshop to typeset the next number of
Variants.  This package is lovely in its support for unicode, and the
full range of Macintosh fonts.
I have been using this for a few years on older Macs, no problems.
However, when running the package on my newest Intel Mac, I hit this
error message:

! Font \testfont=Baskervilleat10pt not loadable: Metric (TFM) file or
installed
font not found.
<to be read again>
                    \font
l.21 \NewOSXFontFamily{baskerville}{Baskerville}
                   (./toc.aux)
?

If I follow the advice <to be read again> indeed, it all works OK (so
long as I remember to click in the console window immediately after
the ? to wake her up).
I am guessing that TeX has to do something to the font to make all
this operate, and the results do seem fine.  However, this is rather
clunky, and inconsistent with the smoothness of everything else in
this system nowadays.

Any ideas, anyone?

Peter Robinson