[OS X TeX] tikz vs pstricks (was Re: graphics with xelatex)

Luis Sequeira lfsequeira at fc.ul.pt
Mon Jul 9 15:44:43 CEST 2007

> hello
>
> Why pstricks, it's more simple to use pdflatex and Tikz !
>
> You can use Tikz and my package tkz-berge.sty
>
> http://www.altermundus.fr/pages/pdflatex/graph.html
>
> The documentation is in french but with many examples.
>
> http://www.altermundus.fr/pages/downloads/doc-TKZberge.pdf
>
> A new version with the new version of Tikz 1.18 arrives...
>
> Greetings
>
> Alain Matthes

Tikz may be fine, but I have yet to see anyone argue convincingly
that it is *better* than pstricks.

The only reason some people prefer tikz over pstricks seems to be the
fact that it can be used with pdflatex.
While this may be a valid point, I am much more interested in easily
producing accurate drawings, with a clear and consistent syntax.
And, working on a mac with TeXShop as a front end, it is no big deal
for me to use latex+dvips when needed.

I admit I am not deeply familiar with the workings of tikz. As a
longtime pstricks user, I am continually marveled by its elegance and
power, and learning new tricks all the time.

That said, I will continue to look at tikz and related packages.
Having options available is always good.

Luis Sequeira