[OS X TeX] Named theorem

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 04:07:37 CEST 2007

On Jul 28, 2006, at 6:32 AM, Martin Costabel wrote:

> Alain Schremmer wrote:
>> Victor Ivrii wrote:
> []
>>> Nothing is wrong with amtthm; however it knows three theorestyles:
>> []
>>>
>>> This would put . (dot) after theorem' number which is not wanted.
>> With all due respect, this was not my question which was: Why
>> doesn't the solution provided in Companion work?
>
> Yes, reading the entire message before answering is hard :-)
>> I went to texhax and from FAQ downloaded amslatex > math >
>> testmath.tex and testmath.pdf. Now, testmath.pdf shows a named
>> theorem on page 6 in which the name is boldfaced and testmath.tex
>> indeed has the syntax in Companion but when I typeset
>> testmath.tex, the name is not boldfaced.
>
> This is due to a change in amsthm.sty that happened sometime in
> 2004. The testmath.pdf you downloaded was typeset before that
> change happened. The Companion was perhaps written before that
> date, too.
>
> In amsthm.sty, they added a line
>
> \thm at notefont{\fontseries\mddefault\upshape}%
>
> which changes this behavior. I assume that they think non-bold is
> more appropriate than boldface for a note. If you want to get a
> different behavior, add that line in your preamble and modify it,
> for example instead of "\fontseries\mddefault" write "\bfseries".
> Or use the solution 2 Victor pointed out.

Sorry about the delayed response.

1) Ivrii's solution works fine of course. Even the dot seems OK.

2) I wanted to add the line but couldn't find amsthm.sty in
aschremmer > library > texmf > tex > latex where all my style sheets
are and Spotlight couldn't find it either (I am running gwtex
installed with i-Installer on 10.4.9)

Grateful regards
--schremmer