[OS X TeX] line break in \caption

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Sun Jul 1 09:36:23 CEST 2007

On Jun 30, 2007, at 23:55, Arthur Snoke wrote:

> Is there a wayh to force a newline within \caption?  Things like \\
> or a blank line do not work.  I want to have something like
>
> \caption{\textbf{Upper panels:}

> \textbf{Lower panels:}
>

>     .... }
>
> So that Upper and Lower are left justified.

The problem is not with the caption itself, but that the caption is
sent to the 'list of tables' or 'list of figures' as well (i.e. it is
a moving argument). You don't want the full caption in that list
anyway, just come up with a really short caption for the list and
then do this:

\caption[really short caption]{\textbf{Upper panels:}~bladiblah

\textbf{Lower panels:} dûh}

Maarten