[OS X TeX] fonts in htlatex

Eitan Gurari gurari at cse.ohio-state.edu
Sun Jul 1 06:09:47 CEST 2007

 > Well, what I get are boxes in the inline as well as the displayed
 > equation (i.e., the png file).

Can you place the produced html and dvi files on the web and provide
pointers to the files.

 > I assume that what is getting input
 > into 'convert' is at fault, but I can't be completely sure.

The `convert' utility can't be the cause for breaking the display
formula into boxes.

 > I do also
 > know that I get the equations properly typeset with pdflatex.

The compilations into pdf are irrelevant to tex4ht.  What matters are
compilations into dvi-->postscript.

 > As to Jeffrey's comment about encodings, I have
 > tried with both T1 and OT1, which doesn't seem to matter.

With arev.sty commented out?  If so there is some tex4ht related bug
that needs fixing.  With a little input from you it shouldn't take
much to fix it.

With the presence of arev.sty?  The environment of arev.sty introduces
some definitions for the math environment and they may confuse tex4ht.
Such definition very likely are also fixable.  Do you get any problem
with the following file?

     \documentclass[12pt]{article}
     \usepackage{arev}
     \begin{document}
     First $a$

     \[b\]
     \end{document}

 > I don't know
 > anything about the internals of htlatex, but I guess it must have
 > something to do with some fundamental difference in the way it deals
 > with fonts as compared to pdflatex.

My current suspicion the problem has nothing to do with the fonts in
use.

-eitan