[OS X TeX] Emacs 22.92, %! and TeXShop

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sat Jan 27 16:43:41 CET 2007

Am 27.01.2007 um 15:47 schrieb Herbert Schulz:

> I'm using the Brother PS(like) driver (rather than the CUPS driver)
> for my HD-5250DN printer. [...]
> If I Print Source for a file within TeXShop (with the %!TEX...
> header) I have no problems. Does the PS(like) driver automatically
> wrap the file with a PS header?

It works for you because you do not have a $200 PostScript printer:

	Emulation(s):	PCL6, BR-Script3, IBM Proprinter, Epson FX

I cannot guess what the software does. If your printer is on the net,
you could use ethereal or another sniffer to see what actually gets
sent to the printer. If on USB, it might work to connect an USB/
Serial convertor to your Mac and some ASCII terminal to the serial
interface: then you'll *see* what is transmitted as print job.

I have a real PostScript 3 printer. CUPS, the printing sub-system,
knows this. This means, that CUPS cannot send ASCII or graphics data
directly to the printer. The proper printer contents has to be
wrapped inside some code that turns the print contents into real
PostScript. Therefore CUPS has some filters which do this job (in /
usr/libexec/cups/filter). A CUPS frontend, cupsd, therefore needs to
determine which data comes in. In /etc/cups some files contain
descriptions for data or file types and which convertors are to be
used for the conversion. In /var/log/cups you can find LOG files. The
printer configuration is in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf.

--
Greetings

   Pete

neither do we.