[OS X TeX] Emacs 22.92, %! and TeXShop

Arno Kruse ak2.71 at gmx.net
Sat Jan 27 12:24:39 CET 2007

Am 27.01.2007 um 11:06 schrieb Peter Dyballa:

<snip>

>>> The issue here is that TeXshop's use of %! can make some of its
>>> source files incompatible with at least
>>> emacs.
>>
>> Actually for me this is not the issue. The issue, for me, is the
>> inability of emacs to understand as a tex file something that is
>> plainly and without any doubt a tex file.
>
> You did not pay attention! GNU Emacs does not rely on your
> understanding of what "is plainly and without any doubt a tex
> file." Because a file contents, with what file name extension ever,
> that starts with %! is a PostScript contents. You should learn this
> fact starting today, a thing your PostScript printer could tell you
> at once.

<snip>

Writing this, my Mac is playing Bachs violin sonata BWV 1018,
pointing to another world. Reading the last lines above fetched me
back into reality.

The arrogant and aggressive tone in Peters last lines does not fit to
the mood Bachs music  originates, it neither does not fit to the tone
that is usual in this list. I ask for apology, Charilaos.

Arno