[OS X TeX] Emacs 22.92, %! and TeXShop

Thomas Kiffe tom at kiffe.com
Sat Jan 27 03:02:39 CET 2007

On Jan 26, 2007, at 5:34 PM, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:

> On Jan 26, 2007, at 5:25 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>

>> The PostScript Language Reference Manual (I've got the old 1985
>> edition) and it says
>>
>> ``The very first line of every PostScript program (whether it is
>> conforming or nonconforming) should be a comment that begins with
>> the characters `%!'.''
>>
>> and, in the next paragraph, further says
>>
>> ``If the PostScript program is conforming, the remainder of the
>> first line (after the `%!') should be a version identifier for the
>> structuring conventions that the file obeys. ... (i.e., the first
>> 11 characters of the program ar `%!PS-Adobe-') ...''
>>
>> So everyone is correct. Of course all the logic I've seen
>> presented is still wrong: just because all PostScript files should
>> start with `%!' (maybe `%!PS...') doesn't mean that all files that
>> start with `%!' (or even `%!PS...') must be PostScript files.
>
> In TextMate we check for %!PS, but of course that's neither here
> nor there in this discussion ;). In any case, TextMate obeys
> extensions over first line matches, so a file with extension tex is
> a LaTeX file, end of story.
>
> Isn't there a way to tell emacs to treat all files with extension
> "tex" as tex files too?

The issue here is that TeXshop's use of %! can make some of its
source files incompatible with at least
emacs. This is not a new issue. Several years back TeXShop used %&,
which made TeXShop incompatible
with tex itself. Fortunately TeXShop was changed to remove this problem.

The question now is which program should be modified. Emacs has been
in use a lot longer than TeXshop and
it uses conventions established long ago for recognizing a Postscript
file. It is TeXShop which insists
on doing things its own way and expecting everyone else to follow its
conventions. Why can't TeXShop
use something like %x, where x is not ! or &. Surely some other
letter could be chosen that wouldn't
introduce incompatibilities.

Tom