[OS X TeX] TL-2007 missing .sty files

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Thu Jan 25 00:46:41 CET 2007

On Jan 25, 2007, at 00:17, Josep M. Font wrote:

> El 24/01/2007, a las 1:36, Gary L. Gray escribió:
>
>>> That explains it. I'm far from been able to create a format file
>>> myself.
>>
>> I bet you can do it. :-)
>>
>> Just create a .tex file that you want to contain much of your
>> preamble. For example:
>>
>> \documentclass[11pt]{article}
>> \usepackage{...}
>> \input{...}
>> \dump
>>
>> would create a format using article with as many packages and
>> inputted files as you can list. The \dump command "dumps" the
>> format to the current directory when the .tex file is typeset. If
>> the .tex file was named books.tex, then the format file will be
>> books.fmt.
>
> This doesn't work for me. How should one typeset the file ? If I
> typeset it in TeXShop, with LaTeX, I get a warning in the .log
> window saying that \dump is only usable by INITEX. And no .fmt file
> is produced. Both with pdflatex and with dvips...

Yes, and the rub is that pdflatex -ini on the above (i.e. calling
initex), doesn't load the latex format: \documentclass is undefined.
This means you have to load all the latex stuff yourself. And you
can't use latex.ltx, since that performs a \dump already. Given the
(short) compile times, I wouldn't bother.

So Gary, if you have more complete instructions, I'm all ears ;-)

Maarten