[OS X TeX] Reinstalling texmf.local

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Jan 24 01:26:39 CET 2007

Am 23.01.2007 um 09:36 schrieb Steffen Hokland:

> After updating to TL my /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local - stuff
> needs to be reinstalled in the gwTeX-tree... Does this require
> actually reinstalling the files (downloading, unpacking etc.) or
> would it be possible to simply mv/cp the entire texmf.local
> directory to gwTeX in place of the one there whithout breaking
> something? Alternatively - could I mv to ~/Library/texmf?

Could be the best approach would be to use tar on the command line:

	sudo ls -l
	cd /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local
	tar cf - . | ( pushd /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf.pkgs ; sudo tar -
kxf - )

Here the last command would keep the old files in texmf.pkgs. To keep
only those files in TeX Live that are newer:

	tar cf - . | ( pushd /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf.pkgs ; sudo tar --
keep-newer-files -xf - )

The first sudo command is useless, but it allows to work with sudo
without being asked again for the password for some time – which can
be troublesome when tar is working.

The problem is that tar would transfer the whole texmf.local branch,
including the ls-R file, or the web2c directory with the FMT files,
or fonts/map/dvips/updmap with the MAP files. So it might be wiser to
substitute the single ``.´´ with particular names like ./tex and
maybe this or that directory, too, whose contents you want to save.
The option ``--exclude="*.map"´´ would exclude all .map files from
being transferred. The option can be repeated to exclude other file
(type)s ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

When confronted with actual numbers, a mathematician is at a loss.
                                          (Steffen Hokland)