[OS X TeX] TeXLive-2007: "/usr/bin/pdflatex does not exist!" Now what?!

Greg Starr starr at unm.edu
Tue Jan 23 16:54:38 CET 2007

That is *exactly* what happened to me...installation in the wrong
order!  Using locatedb, I found that there was no pdflatex anywhere!

	--gps

On Jan 23, 2007, at 6:16 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> On 23 Jan 2007, at 12:37 pm, Martin Henning wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Jan 23, 2007, at 3:22 AM, Greg Starr wrote:
>>
>>> After spending several days tearing my hair out with the various
>>> LaTeX distributions, upon Richard Koch's advice I just installed
>>> TeXLive-2007.dmg and MacTeX_Additions.dmg from TUG.
>>>
>>> The first thing I see is: "Can't find required tool" ... /usr/
>>> texbin/pdflatex does not exist!!
>>

> I think there may be an installation "gotcha" here.
>
> I just watched a colleague install TeX from the TeXLiveMTS-2007 and
> MacTeX_Additions packages. Now, the NewPackages.html page says that
> "a typical user should install MacTeX_Additions, and then one or
> more of [distributions]". What my colleague did, though, was to
> install TeXLiveMTS *first*, and then Additions. Not quite following
> the suggestion to the letter, but seems reasonable.
>
> However, the end result was that /usr/local/texlive contained a
> directory "texmf-local", with subdirectories, but *NO* main "2007"
> directory!
>
> Reinstalling TeXLiveMTS-2007 *after* the Additions fixed this, but
> it was initially quite puzzling that no *TeX tools seemed to be
> available.
>
> What I suspect is that the Additions package *erases* the /usr/
> local/texlive directory, at least in some circumstances, and will
> therefore wipe out any TL distribution that was installed earlier.
> Dick, can you check/confirm this?
>
> JK

* Gregory P. Starr, Professor of Mechanical Engineering         *
* Department of Mechanical Engineering, MSC01 1150              *
* The University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM 87131           *
* (505) 277-6298 (ME)  (505) 272-7156 (MTTC)                    *
* starr at unm.edu                   http://www.me.unm.edu/~starr  *