[OS X TeX] Configuring woes with ghostscript (ps2pdf) after bleeding edge installs

Hans Marius Eikseth heikseth at online.no
Mon Jan 22 21:20:20 CET 2007

Hello all,
I recently downloaded&installed the comprehensive mactex.tar.gz (894 MB) to
get hold of TeX Live 2007. This led to a minor hiccup, resolved (I thought)
by also loading the MacTeX_Additions stuff (bringing back i-Installer,
TeXShop and such to my system).

However, my latex->dvips->ps2pdf route of typesetting now had wrong page
formatting in final output (looks almost as if a letter paper form is
superimposed onto my presentation (that should typeset as screen-friendly
landscape-oriented), leaving out a sizeable portion to the right).

Now, I remember reading on this very list worries about this bleeding edge
stuff in regards exactly to configuration. I was therefore delighted to
learn that Gerben Wierda was enhancing the gwTeX selection with some stuff I
wanted [powerdot], and thought I would be saved by downloading the
2007/01/22 gwTeX stuff, installing that, then run a configure on the
ghostscript 8 package, using the i-Installer configure button.

So I did this, and checked that texdist --current now was gwTeX.

But typesetting now had the same disappointing result. How do I know it's
ghostscript? Well, I think I nailed the problem down to the gs family, since
choosing Distiller as the ps to pdf step (in TeXShop Preferences) yields the
right dimensions of the typeset output (but the hyperref/navigation stuff is
sorely lacking using Distiller - I tried Acrobat 8 as well as viewer).

Any pointers to the direction I should move now? [I'm unfamiliar with
commandline configuration steps]

Best regards,
Hans Marius Eikseth