[OS X TeX] pdf in Safari et al

Adam R. Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Mon Jan 22 00:58:56 CET 2007

On Jan 21, 2007, at 15:44, Robert Bruner wrote:

> Coming to OS X from a Unix/Linux background, I am astonished that
> there is no mime.types sort of mechanism for telling Safari what
> program to use to interpret data, e.g., .pdf files.

This is handled by the operating system, rather than a per-application
basis.  For PDF files, the default program for opening that file will
be used (by default, this is Preview).  To change that, get info on a
PDF in the Finder, and use the popup menu to change the application.

MIME types in particular should be associated with a Uniform Type
Identifier, so an application which handles a particular type can open
the file based on extension, four char code, MIME type, etc.

hth,
Adam