[OS X TeX] pdf in Firefox

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sun Jan 21 19:25:17 CET 2007

Le 21 janv. 07 à 18:39, Roussanka Loukanova a écrit :

> In Firefox, I would like to get pdf files from Internet, or local
> addresses opened, e.g. with Preview, without having been saved on
> the computer (unless I Save them intentionally, after viewing). [...]
>
> Upon selecting a link for a pdf file, Firefox asks for
> confirmation, and only if I confirm, *saves* it on the Desktop
> (which is my default save location) and then automatically opens it
> in Preview. Instead of just opening as Safari does.
>
> There is no difference, if Abode Reader is my preview program
> instead of Preview.

Firefox includes by default no plugin for PDF viewing. The Plug-in
AdobePDFViewer.plugin installed by Adobe Reader (depending on what
you select in Reader's Preferences > Internet) in "/Library/Internet
Plug-Ins" does not seem to be seen by Firefox.

Two possibilities:

- The PDF Download extension <http://www.pdfdownload.org/> seems to
allow Firefox to relate to an already installed PDF viewer plugin.
The screenshots page contain an OS X Tiger section.

- The PDF Browser Plugin <http://www.schubert-it.com/pluginpdf/> from
Schubert|it is an alternative PDF viewer plugin, free for home or
educational user for non-profit activities, shareware otherwise.
Personally I prefer it to Reader's plugin; I used it before Safari
included built-in PDF viewing ability.

It seems the OS X screenshots for Firefox's PDF Download extension
indicate use of the PDF Browser Plugin.

Hope this helps,

Brunon Voisin