[OS X TeX] Re: kpsewhich pointing to wrong location?

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Sat Jan 20 04:07:11 CET 2007

On Jan 19, 2007, at 18:50 , Justin C. Walker wrote:

> On Jan 19, 2007, at 18:42 , Nathan Paxton wrote:
>> 	Thanks for the help.
>> 	I don't actually have the multiple installs of TeX.  The locatedb
>> hasn't been rebuilt in a long while.  How can I force the system
>> to rebuild the locate database?
> For most command-line tools, related files, and programming
> libraries, there are manual pages that come with the system or with
> the packages that proved them.
> In this case, 'man locate' tells you that "/usr/libexec/
> locate.updatedb" is the script to update the database.  Programs in
> "/usr/libexec" are normally not run by mere mortals, so this
> directory is not in your "path".  You should use the full pathname
> to invoke the command.

And, I forgot to add, it must be run as 'root', e.g., like this:
    sudo /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb
and give *your* password when prompted.

This assumes that your account has admin privileges.

Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon at Large
Institute for the Enhancement of the Director's Income
Nobody knows the trouble I've been