[OS X TeX] Re: OSX-ifying TeX even more

Bill Rowe readlists at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 19 05:58:50 CET 2007

On 1/18/07 at 3:40 PM, bvoisin at mac.com (Bruno Voisin) wrote:

>That's why I don't use Migration Assistant, and reinstall all the
>programs one by one, given many of them rely on components located
>inside /Library or in the invisible Unix directories. Accordingly
>you need to reinstall these programs from their original installer
>packages, which put everything at the proper place.

Based on my experience you are definitely creating more work for
yourself with this approach. I had installed teTeX using
i-Installer on my TiBook. Later when I upgraded to a faster
machine, I used Migration Assistant and found it nicely moved my
teTeX installation and several other Unix binaries I had
installed in appropriate directories to my new machine. And once
Migration Assistant has done its thing, it is a fairly simple
thing to use other utilities to compare the contents of both
drives and ensure files have been copied appropriately.