[OS X TeX] CM Super, Latin Modern

André Bellaïche abellaic at math.jussieu.fr
Thu Jan 18 20:49:28 CET 2007

Le 18 janv. 07 à 20:30, Axel E. Retif a écrit :

> On Jan 18, 2007, at 12:52 , Alain Schremmer wrote:
>> Bruno Voisin wrote:
>>> The default is CM (not Super), the original Computer Modern fonts.
>>> Selecting \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} (which more and more LaTeX
>>> packages do) switches to the EC fonts, substituted by the CM-
>>> Super  fonts in case these are installed.
>>> Adding on top \usepackage{lmodern} switches to the LM fonts.
>> I i-installed TeXShop 1.43 on 10.3.9 about a year or so ago and
>> probably did a minimal installation but how do I find out if I
>> installed Super?
> With
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
> \begin{document}
> Hello
> \end{document}
> the log says
> /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.pkgs/fonts/enc/dvips/cm-super/cm-supe
> r-t1.enc}</usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.pkgs/fonts/type1/public/cm-super/
> sfrm1000.pfb
> Best,
> Axel

But with

the log says

The font used is not the original computer modern font, but the
Postscript Type 1  version of it designed by Bluesky/Textures and
given by them to the AMS.

A question : when you use a Type 1 font, TeX do a big lot of work to
transform it into a pk font, this is registered in the log. But
nothing appear when you use Type 1 CM. Is it because the work has
already been done and the output is kept somewhere in the TeX tree ?

André Bellaïche