[OS X TeX] PDF File won't print from Adobe Reader 8.0

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Jan 18 18:30:18 CET 2007

Le 18 janv. 07 à 18:14, Alan Munn a écrit :

> It's also quite amazing that Preview and Acrobat 6.0 can print the
> file, but Reader 7.0 and 8.0 fail and in different ways. Is it
> possible that  each application deals with the printer differently
> so that the memory limitation shows up in one but not the other?

I think that Adobe Reader does some pre-treatment of a PDF file
before sending it to the printer, while Preview and TeXShop send the
file directly and that treatment is done in the printer.

Some time ago I had a PDF containing very large images (for about 60
MB in total, say) on a single page. Printing this page from TeXShop
or Preview failed: the page was sent quickly to the printer (a
LaserJet 4050n), which processed it for hours and finally failed
silently.

With Adobe Reader (7 at the time), it took maybe 20 or 30 minutes of
processing after hitting the Print button before the page was sent to
the printer. But then the page was printed in maybe 10 minutes. In
that way I got a printout, and I avoided the ire of other people from
my lab, who couldn't print when I was using Preview or TeXShop and my
Mac took hold of the printer for hours.

So yes, I think Adobe applications (Reader and Acrobat) print PDF
files in a fundamentally different way from Preview or TeXShop.

Bruno Voisin