[OS X TeX] The Future of TeX on Mac OS X

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Thu Jan 18 03:41:02 CET 2007

On Jan 17, 2007, at 9:12 PM, Thomas Bohn wrote:

> Or the bloated MacTeX package, which is nice for starters but not if
> you actually knows what you need and what you don't need.

I have been using LaTeX since 1989 and I would generally be
considered well beyond a beginner. With that said, I find the latest
TeXLive package created by Dick Koch to be wonderfully easy to
install and very complete. I like to spend my time writing, not
messing with TeX (ok, sometimes it's fun to mess with TeX, but
still ...).

> BTW the
> unsupported notice will make i-Installer extremely scary for
> beginners.

Why don't you want to simply install the current release of TeXLive?
It is supported, complete, and requires just a couple of clicks to
install. In addition, if one installs the MacTeX Additions, you also
get editors, previewers, bibliography organizers, spell checkers, and
maybe more. What could be nicer than this?

All the best,
   Gary