[OS X TeX] The Future of TeX on Mac OS X

Thomas Bohn thbohn at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 03:12:39 CET 2007

Hello,

I'm really confused. I read the archives of the list and someone said
something like "Mac OS X is still the best platform for LaTeX." That
is basically the main reason why I joined this list.

But the only thing I see is, that the i-Installer is unsupported now.
The distribution teTeX is no longer supported too. And I can't find
current information about it anywhere. Most websites about TeX on Mac
hasn't updated for at least a month.

Alternatives might be Fink or MacPorts but they have teTeX which is no
longer in active development.

Or the bloated MacTeX package, which is nice for starters but not if
you actually knows what you need and what you don't need. BTW the
unsupported notice will make i-Installer extremely scary for
beginners.

I just hope, someone can explain me the development of LaTeX at the moment.

Thomas