[OS X TeX] TeXLive 2006, babel, and hyphenation patterns

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Wed Jan 17 20:05:27 CET 2007

On Jan 17, 2007, at 11:30 AM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> On 17 Jan 2007, at 3:38 pm, Gary L.Gray wrote:
>
>> Here is some code that gives me that error:
>>
>> \documentclass{article}
>> \usepackage{lmodern}
>> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>> \usepackage{datetime}
>> \begin{document}
>> Last revised: \today, \currenttime
>> \end{document}
>> It must have something to do with the \today command. Here is the
>> (very long) log file for the error version.
>
> I don't believe the log file actually matches that input! It is
> clearly the log of a beamer (not article) run:

I am a bonehead! You are quite right. This is the result of too many
files on the desktop. :-)

>> This is pdfTeXk, Version 3.141592-1.40.0-rc4 (Web2C 7.5.5)
>> (format=pdflatex 2007.1.3)  17 JAN 2007 09:52
>> entering extended mode
>> \write18 enabled.
>> %&-line parsing enabled.
>> **test.tex
>> (./test.tex
>> LaTeX2e <2005/12/01>
>> Babel <v3.8h> and hyphenation patterns for english, usenglishmax,
>> dumylang, noh
>> yphenation, arabic, basque, bulgarian, coptic, welsh, czech,
>> slovak, german, ng
>> erman, danish, esperanto, spanish, catalan, galician, estonian,
>> german, finnish
>> , french, greek, monogreek, ancientgreek, croatian, hungarian,
>> interlingua, iby
>> cus, indonesian, icelandic, italian, latin, mongolian, dutch,
>> norsk, polish, po
>> rtuguese, pinyin, romanian, russian, slovene, uppersorbian,
>> serbian, swedish, t
>> urkish, ukenglish, ukrainian, loaded.
>> (/usr/local/texlive/2006/texmf-dist/tex/latex/beamer/beamer.cls
>
> However, that's probably not important; I don't get an error with
> either article or beamer.
>
> I notice that you have an older version of fmtcount.sty than what's
> currently in TL:
>
>> (/usr/local/texlive/2006/texmf-dist/tex/latex/datetime/datetime.sty
>> Package: datetime 2006/12/05 v2.49 Date Time Package
>>
>> (/usr/local/texlive/2006/texmf-dist/tex/latex/fmtcount/fmtcount.sty
>> Package: fmtcount 2006/07/29 v1.04
>

> So I'm guessing this may be the problem. My current TL snapshot has
> v1.06, dated 2007/01/06, so I

That was, in fact, the problem. I just installed TeXLive 2007 from
Dick's web site on TUG. This installed the new version of fmtcount
and the error has gone away.

Thank you all for your help.

All the best,
   Gary