[OS X TeX] TeXLive 2006, babel, and hyphenation patterns

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Jan 17 15:07:03 CET 2007

On 17 Jan 2007, at 3:25 am, Gary L. Gray wrote:

> I just noticed that TeXLive 2006, installed from one of Dick's
> recent distributions, loads a huge number of hyphenation patterns.
> From my console:
>
> Babel <v3.8h> and hyphenation patterns for english, usenglishmax,
> dumylang, noh
> yphenation, arabic, basque, bulgarian, coptic, welsh, czech,
> slovak, german, ng
> erman, danish, esperanto, spanish, catalan, galician, estonian,
> german, finnish
> , french, greek, monogreek, ancientgreek, croatian, hungarian,
> interlingua, iby
> cus, indonesian, icelandic, italian, latin, mongolian, dutch,
> norsk, polish, po
> rtuguese, pinyin, romanian, russian, slovene, uppersorbian,
> serbian, swedish, t
> urkish, ukenglish, ukrainian, loaded.

This is normal; the default setup loads all available patterns (so
that no reconfiguration or format rebuilding is necessary if you
request one of these in a document some day). If you don't use them,
they shouldn't affect you.

> With this in mind, I am trying to use the datetime package and I
> keep getting the error:
>
> ! Package fmtcount Error: No support for language 'ukrainian'.
>
> See the fmtcount package documentation for explanation.
>

> I looked in the documentation for fmtcount and it doesn't help. Is
> this error happening because of what babel is loading?

The presence of the hyphenation patterns in the format shouldn't
cause this (unless the package is buggy, I suppose).

I don't see this when I try a simple example:

   \documentclass{article}
   \usepackage[english]{babel}
   \usepackage{datetime}
   \begin{document}
   Hello world at \currenttime.
   \end{document}

This works fine with a current TeXLive snapshot, which should be very
similar to Dick's recent packages. If you're still having trouble,
perhaps you could show a complete (but minimal) example, and the
resulting log file.

JK