[OS X TeX] SI units and hyphenation

Helge Stanjek stanjek at iml.rwth-aachen.de
Wed Jan 17 14:42:25 CET 2007

Dear all,

I use the units package with \SI{number}{units} quite often. Quite
often, however, this results in too long lines, because any numer
with a unit is treated as a non-breaking item (at least in my texts
written with TeXShop).

Since I didnt find any hint in SIUnits.pdf and in other web
locations, I ask it here:

Is there a possibility to tell TeX to break the units from its number?

Up to now I use the work-around of splitting the digits from their
units (i.e., writing \SI{1.234e-5}{} \SI{}{mol.m^-2.s^-1}), which is
not very elegant.

thanks for any advice on this,

Helge