[OS X TeX] Where to put local additions to texmf?

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 17 00:33:32 CET 2007

On Jan 17, 2007, at 00:14, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> On the other hand, based on the criterion that the local additions
> should go to the one place that is in no case erased or overwritten
> by either installer package (the TeX i-Package, or the TeXLive-200*
> MacTeX package), then one is back to /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.local
> for gwTeX, and /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local for MacTeX.
>
> There must be a flaw somewhere in this reasoning, but where?

If it helps (I should not post after midnight, I know): I think the
latter is correct.

I have gwTeX installed, and the texmf.local is the second tree, right
after the personal tree, see below. This means that .local
overrides .pkgs. From the contents of the pkgs, you're not meant to
install stuff there yourself.

In previous releases the context updater use .local to dump its
stuff, and now it installs in .pkgs (along with musixtex and the
other separate install packages in i-Installer). The previous
behaviour violated the expectancy that .local was for the local
administrator, not touched by an installer.

HTMH,

Maarten

maarten$ kpsewhich -show-path=tex -progname=latex | sed 's/:/\
/g'
.
/Users/maarten/Library/texmf/tex/latex//
!!/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.local/tex/latex//
!!/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.pkgs/tex/latex//
!!/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.gwtex/tex/latex//
!!/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive/tex/latex//
!!/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf/tex/latex//
/Users/maarten/Library/texmf/tex/generic//
!!/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.local/tex/generic//
!!/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.pkgs/tex/generic//
!!/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.gwtex/tex/generic//
!!/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.texlive/tex/generic//
!!/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf/tex/generic//
/Users/maarten/Library/texmf/tex///
!!/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.local/tex///
!!/usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.pkgs/tex///