[OS X TeX] Installing the powerdot and xkeyval packages - Mac newbie

Hans Marius Eikseth heikseth at online.no
Wed Jan 17 00:18:00 CET 2007

> Try the following--
>
> Download the package from CTAN or wherever you can get the latest
> version. Create a directory texmf\latex in [YOURUSERNAME]\Library.
> Put whatever .sty files you need into the newly created directory.

Ok, sounds fair enough to me - I had issued a kpathsea [some option] to get
hold of what I thought was my $LOCALTECMF root, where I thought local
installations should be put (reading something at CTAN). Like I said, this
Mac world is brand new to me. I guess the point is to make the typesetting
engines aware of where those packages resides, complying to some sanity
scheme. I will try your suggestion, though.

> I don't understand why you're saying that you can't use i-Installer
> for the texlive based distribution? Or the mactex distribution Dick
> Koch has been preparing?
>
> -Adam

What I tried to convey, was a sense that those particular packages were too
new for them to be on the teTeX/gwTeX radar (i-Installer). There might be a
way for me to use that tool to accomplish my task, I just haven't found out
:) - and is part of why I asked my question in the first place.

Hans Marius