[OS X TeX] Current non-bleeding-edge installation procedure

Adam M. Goldstein adam.goldstein at jhu.edu
Mon Jan 15 20:59:01 CET 2007

On Jan 15, 2007, at 10:54 AM, Michael Williams wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am I right in thinking that the MacTeX package from
> http://www.tug.org/mactex/ is the recommended way to install TeX right
> now on a new Mac for those of us who are not able to help with
> testing?
>
> If I install in this way will it be a simple procedure to migrate to
> whatever becomes the preferred TeX distribution once this transitional
> period is over (presumably TeXLive 2006)?
>
> -- Mike

My impression is that the TeXLive-MacTeX does not "update" in the way
i-installer would update a distribution by just finding out what was
new on the server; and it is also my understanding that the 2006
mactex distribution (the one that will be released for 2007) is not
yet complete. I also get the impression that for most purposes, the
TL 2006 distribution as it stands now should be sufficient, although
people may uncover missing packages or documentation with further
testing, and there may be a few newer versions of certain packages
added for the final distribution.

Bottom line: install the mactex distribution you mention above, and
then when the final release comes out, re-install.

-Adam

Dr. Adam M. Goldstein
adam <dot> goldstein <at> jhu.edu
http://shiftingbalance.wordpress.com