[OS X TeX] Creating a glossar

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Jan 15 19:57:31 CET 2007

On Jan 15, 2007, at 12:29 PM, Christian Burk wrote:

> What the hell... I must have been blind arrggh - Thanks anyway.
>
> But for creating the index I have to use the following command line:
>
> -----
> makeindex -s test_glossar.ist -t test_glossar.glg -o
> test_glossar.gls test_glossar.glo
> -----
>
> Is there way to do this with that "engines" in TeXShop - it would
> be more handy?
>

> Thanks
> Christian

Howdy,

Sure there is! Make a copy of any of the engine files in ~/Library/
TeXShop/Engines/ (to preserve the executable bit), rename it
MakeGlossary.engine (or whatever you wish.engine) and double click it
to open in TeXShop. Substitute

#!/bin/sh
bfname=$(dirname "$1")/"`basename "$1" .tex`"
makeindex -s "$bfname".ist -t "$bfname".glg -o "$bfname".gls
"$bfname".glo

for the contents of the original engine file (note: everything from
the makeindex to the end is on a single line --- in case it is
wrapped on your screen).

Right now there is a bug that won't let you choose a different engine
if you have a

%!TEX TSprogram = xxxxxx

line so leave that off.

You could, of course, run pdflatex before and a couple of times after
the makeindex to fully make the file.

I'm hoping that latexmk will eventually be updated to include
glossary and nomencl processing (it does index processing
automatically now) as well as support the multibib and multiind
packages and then all the processing will be taken care of
automatically.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)