[OS X TeX] Command-line fun

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Jan 15 18:42:42 CET 2007

Am 15.01.2007 um 17:15 schrieb Bruno Voisin:

> Le 15 janv. 07 à 17:04, Peter Dyballa a écrit :
>> 2755 for directories might be a better choice: then automatically
>> the new contents in such a directory would be owned by the owners
>> of this directory. No "post-fixing" would be necessary.
>> A problem could arise from executable files (Ruby, Perl, and other
>> scripts, for example in ConTeXt or XeTeX): they would lose this
>> attribute.
> Hi Peter,
> Thanks for the explanations. Wouldn't the above have security
> implications, any file put into these directories (owned by root)
> immediately acquiring root privileges? Or did I misunderstand
> something?

Bruno, you're planning to deliberately make the whole branch owned by
root! Giving it "root privileges." Your doing would be more dangerous
by some magnitudes ...

More seriously: changing bits in the inode of a file or directory
(that's what chmod, chown, or the automatism do) is still some light
years away from actively executing a file via sudo. Proof: when some
mortal user invokes latex, which is owned by root, on some TeX file
(STY, CLS, ..., DTX, XeTeX test file), owned by root, then the output
will /not/ belong to root. The mechanism with setting for example
2775 permissions for a directory is like adding a hook (in Emacs
speak), an automatic side-effect that inherently invokes chown. And
it's secure: no-one else than the owner of the directory is allowed
to put anything inside.

And "root privileges" are not only semantically different from "owned
by root!" Only the latter happens.

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists
elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
                     -- Bill Watterson, in his comic strip Calvin and