[OS X TeX] Re: Save date-time, not Print date

Douglas Philips dgou at mac.com
Sun Jan 7 20:57:18 CET 2007

On 2007 Jan 7, at 1:47 PM, Victor Ivrii indited:
> On 1/7/07, Robert Bruner wrote:
>> Naturally, you may have your wn preference for the order (day-
>> month-year, etc.
>> And my preference for awk is one of those 'you use the tools you
>> know' moments.
>>
>> 4. What I wrote above will alomost certainly fail without some
>> additional care
>> to make certain that the braces ({}) are passed properly by tex to
>> the shell.
>

> The problem however is that timestamp is affected by certain
> operations which actually do not change file.

Perhaps. But most backup/restore and version control systems (that I
know of) don't cause those kinds of problems. Your argument remains
unconvincing because it is not addressing the core issue.
Just as if you were saying: "Don't use \date, cause you, know, your
system clock might not be correct. Users can change those things ya
know."

> To make things even worse TeXShop actually saves .tex file every
> time it typesets it; so
> it will be by no means different from using \today unless  TeXShop
> configured for external editor (so editing function of TeXShop is
> switched off.

If what you are saying is that TeXShop will write the .tex file every
time it typesets it, EVEN IF the file itself hasn't changed, I would
call that a TeXShop bug. All the more reason to use vi or emacs as my
editor.

--Doug