[OS X TeX] Re: Save date-time, not Print date

David Watson dewatson at mac.com
Sun Jan 7 20:25:28 CET 2007

On Jan 7, 2007, at 10:36 AM, Maarten Sneep wrote:

> On 7-jan-2007, at 17:17, George Gratzer wrote:
>
>> But why use TeX for version control? I assume all of you back up.
>> I backup many times a day with Retrospect. It requires one click,
>> and it happens in the background. If I want to know the source or
>> the pdf file of my project on December 5, I get it with very
>> little work, I just have to pick from the 4 or 5 backups of the day.
>>
>> Am I missing something?
>
> Yes (I hope so).
>
> I don't use TeX for version control. I use a package that reads the
> string put into the file by the version control software (the
> $Id: .... $ string you must have seen before). The version control
> is done by cvs, completely outside of TeX. The side effect is that
> the date string within the file is updated, and available for LaTeX.
>
> Version control is something different from frequent backups, as it
> also helps to synchronise different computers, and does more than
> simple backups can (branching, although I didn't use that).
>
> Maarten

I use svn (Subversion) for version control, and I was glad to see
that svn support exists for LaTeX (macros/latex/contrib/svn @ CTAN).
Version control is so much better than "backup" for my current
project, and even though the setup may require a bit of a learning
curve, when you see the results, you really can't go back to doing
things the "old" way.

Thanks Maarten, I wouldn't have looked for this without your suggestion.

David